Sunday, May 28, 2006

The People's Brow

I'll admit it, I'm a skin whore...trying desperately to keep up with Willow Zander, I've bought my fair share of skins, been given quite a few from dear friends who create them and checked out a million demos for skins I've yet to purchase. I love the way you can look like an entirely different person just by changing skins, and I love the skins that make my SL av look most like my RL av. :) I also love the skins that maintain the features I've given my avatar. So, basically, I love skins. :)

I know creators of items in SL create what they like, and I fully support that, it's that diversity that makes the wares in SL so fun to shop for! I can try on different looks that I would NEVER wear in RL, due to work/society/figure constraints and play in them, I can find things I would wear in RL, and I can be a total fantasy character like a faerie or a dragon or a tiny critter or even my favorite Penguin - Feathers McGraw.


But let's talk about eyebrows. I notice that for every skin I buy, I have to create a different bald wig and adjust the eyebrows...ok, that's cool...but some can't be adjusted much and I'm not sure if it's because the brows were created to fit the creator's avatar or if the placement isn't right, sooooo

I experimented. I made a bald wig with eyebrows set at 0/0/0/50/50/50 to get the absolute middle setting for a brow. Then I took pics of each of the maker’s skins I have and I'll post them here without naming them, you who wear skins will know them anyway. Then I created (this is where is becomes HILARIOUS) my own face skin, I used Chip Midnight's Template to create it, and I drew the brows just a bit higher than is recommended on Robin Sojourner's Template. (If anyone wants a copy of the jpg to see where I placed the brows, just IM me, I'll make it downloadable.)

After I wore the face I created, I took a pic of it set the same as the others, but then I wanted to show the variety of movement one gets with brows created at this range. I'll tell you what settings as I go along...





3 comments:

Sans said...

I'm missing the point, sorry Lizbeth. You want skin designers to design their brows higher up? I have to admit, I made a baldie hair thingie too with the eyebrows set lower, with very little arch or point to them. It's almost 100 low on the slider because eyebrows that high up make me look too inquisitive in my opinion. Since it's possible to open the eyes up with the eye sliders I don't see a need for highly arched brows.

My main problem with eyebrows is often they are too thickly or stylistically drawn and look like they're drawn with an eye pencil rather than just naturally there.

The big thing I look at in skins is the mouth. Sometimes it is too widely drawn, so adjusting it smaller makes it look like the mouth wraps unnaturally around the avi's face. Also, very deep, thin upper lift clefts make the avi look as if she's painted on too much lipstick with a lip pencil, going outside a natural lip line.

I'd really like to see a fashion show/Sale from skin designers in Second Life, similar to Hair Fair. Call it The Festival Skintastic or Skinstasy (my fave suggestion). Have categories: Photorealistic, Hand Drawn, Basic Skins, Modifiable Skins, Alternative/Surreal Skins, Special or Limited Edition skins, Custom Skins, Celebrity Skins, Novelty Skins...

Anyway, great topic Lizbeth. :)

Lizbeth Marlowe said...

Hi Sansarya! I was experimenting...and still am, but I do like your idea about Skintasy! What a great name and a great idea!

How many Skin makers have you suggested this to? It would be fun to organize something like this...unfortunately, I am out of the loop til after I am moved.

As for the brows, I was showing the inconsistency of placement. I had the brows set at 50/50/50 and yet some are low, some are high, some are way high... I'm thinking there should be somewhere in the middle that will make it so you can go as low as you like or as high as you like and that 50/50/50 is in the middle. But I don't make skins so I'm don't really know, I was just experimenting.

Anonymous said...

I know this is an older post, but it's an interesting topic. There actually IS a "correct" place for eyebrows, if you take it for granted that the Lindens put them in the right spot to begin with. That's taking a lot for granted since they also made the nipples crooked and decided freckles should go on over top your tattoos on your legs but underneath them on your torso and face. But I digress.

Placing the eyebrows in the exact location of the Linden defaults gives you the most range of motion. I made my original skins with brows a little bit higher than that, I guess because I have very high arched eyebrows irl, and that looked the most normal to me. Some people loved that, some didn't. Many do not realize that you can even adjust them with the sliders.

My last skin, I put them a bit lower than the first, almost on keel with the defaults and again some thought it too high, others too low.

My most recent skin which is still in development, and just went through a beta test has the eyebrows pretty much dead on with the defaults. A few people suggested that I move them either higher or lower to get them off that "ideal" spot because they were reacting too MUCH with the sliders.

As a skin maker, I really don't know where to put them to keep everyone happy. Well, actually I know that no matter what I do, they won't make EVERYONE happy. Just isn't possible, so I'll continue to place them where they seem right to me. And I think I will start including a sample of bald wigs with different eyebrow settings just so people realize that they ARE modifiable. That's something I did on the beta and it got mostly positive feedback. I'm just surprised I never thought of it before. Oy.

PS. I like "Skinival" lol ;)